La Plata Family Law Attorneys in Maryland
Family law is a collection of statutes and other legal authorities specific to the finances, duties, rights and relationships that encompass a domestic unit. Mudd, Mudd & Fitzgerald, P.A. understands that your family is your life.
Our knowledgeable and compassionate La Plata family law attorneys have been successfully guiding clients through the complexities of family law matters for more than a century.
Child custody, child support and alimony in La Plata
Our collective legal experience is important to you in your family law matters, including:
- Child custody — Child custody is no longer awarded based upon parental gender but on the best interests of the child or children. This can mean joint custody that is shared or divided, physical custody, or a combination of the two.
- Visitation — The creation of a parenting plan under the expert guidance of a La Plata family lawyer in MD takes the guesswork out of the visitation schedule and is a positive step toward your child’s post-divorce well-being.
- Child support — Child-support obligations are calculated by using the income-shares child support guidelines adopted by Maryland, by which each parent’s income is considered in the final child support award. One or both parents may be required to contribute equitably toward child support.
- Divorce — Whether seeking an absolute divorce or a limited divorce, you should hire our family lawyers in La Plata to protect your interests and assets. Maryland has limited grounds for divorce.
- Domestic violence and protection orders — Victims of domestic violence have the right to petition for orders of protection to protect themselves from an abusive spouse or companion.
- Property division — Marital property is divided equitably in Maryland divorces. It’s in your best interest to hire La Plata family law lawyers in Maryland to handle your negotiations. If you and your spouse cannot agree upon the division of your assets and liabilities, the courts will decide for you.
- Alimony orders — Alimony is a court order whereby one spouse pays the other spousal support in the aftermath of divorce. Maryland allows three types of alimony: pendente lite (temporary, until the divorce comes to trial), rehabilitative and indefinite.
Family law attorneys since 1907
Mudd, Mudd & Fitzgerald, P.A. is competitively priced. Our firm has been selected for the prestigious AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™. Additionally, two members of our law firm, Stephen P. Fitzgerald and John F. Mudd, have been named Super Lawyers by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ and The Bar Register for Preeminent Lawyers. We are the oldest and largest law firm in Charles County, conveniently located a half-block from the courthouse and handicapped-accessible. Please schedule an appointment by calling 240.776.5078 or contact us online to discuss your family law matter with us.
We are leaders, litigators and trial attorneys who fight for your rights.