If you are looking to file a personal injury lawsuit after sustaining injuries in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, you may wonder how much money you might recover in the case. In most situations, the amount of compensation you receive depends on the “damages” you suffered in the crash. The following are some examples of the various types of compensatory damages available in car accident and other personal injury claims:
  • Medical treatment: Almost every personal injury award includes compensation for the costs of medical care resulting from the accident. This essentially acts as reimbursement for the treatment you have already received, along with compensation for the estimated costs of continuing that care.
  • Wages: Some claims include compensation for lost wages and lost earning capacity, which is the estimated amount of money you would have been able to make in the future had you not suffered your injuries.
  • Property damage: If your vehicle or other personal property were damaged in the car accident, you could seek compensation for the repairs to that property, or for the fair market value of any property considered a loss.
  • Pain and suffering: You might be able to recover compensation for the pain and discomfort you experienced due to the accident, along with any pain you can expect to experience in the future.
  • Emotional distress: If you can demonstrate that you have suffered from emotional distress because of the accident, you may be able to recover additional damages.
  • Loss of consortium: Loss of consortium refers to the damages an accident had on a victim’s family — particularly the plaintiff’s relationship with his or her spouse. For example, the lack of ability to continue a sexual relationship would fall under loss of consortium, although the term can cover all types of relationships within a family.
  • Punitive damages: If the conduct of the defendant was particularly egregious or careless, you may be able to recover additional punitive damages on top of any compensatory damages you’ve already received.
For more information and guidance on how you should move ahead after a serious car accident in Maryland, contact a knowledgeable Charles County personal injury attorney with Mudd, Mudd & Fitzgerald, P.A.