116 La Grange Ave, La Plata Maryland 20646-0310
call us now 240.776.5078

Seeking Child Support in Maryland?

A 30-year-old father of two boys has not heard from his ex-wife, the mother of the boys, since the day the divorce was finalized three years ago. Working as a retail manager and bartender to cover the costs of raising the boys, the father is the sole provider for the two children. A few weeks ago, the father learned that the mother is a successful dentist in Baltimore and remarried two years ago. 

It is evident that the mother does not want a personal relationship with her sons. However, she has a duty to contribute to the costs of raising the boys as mandated in the child support court order. The father in this scenario would benefit from the advice of highly experienced Maryland attorneys who can help him get the financial support owed by the noncustodial parent.

Enforcing a child order

A family court judge decides an amount of support that is reasonable and necessary to raise a child, and the parents are obligated to contribute. Parents owe a duty of support to their children, which includes medical, educational and emotional needs. Basic child support duties are divided between the parents in proportion to their adjusted actual incomes. The Maryland Legislature provides in §12–204, with the exception of instances of shared physical custody, that a parent’s individual basic child support obligation is calculated along with the following: 

  • Health insurance expenses
  • Exceptional medical expenses
  • Childcare expenses because of employment obligations
  • Transportation costs between parents
  • Educational needs 

When a parent fails to provide child support, a proceeding is held to hold the individual in contempt. Notice of the proceeding may be served to the nonpaying parent. Under the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act, even if a noncustodial parent lives out of state, that state must help to establish and enforce the support orders. An effective family law attorney can provide help to clients seeking the support owed by a noncustodial parent. 

The attorneys at Mudd, Mudd & Fitzgerald, P.A. provide compassionate support and assist clients in acquiring financial support from a noncustodial parent. The firm represents clients throughout Southern Maryland. 

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


Contact Form


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.