116 La Grange Ave, La Plata Maryland 20646-0310
call us now 240.776.5078

How to Report a Car Accident to Insurance Company, Authorities

After a car accident, there are as many as three entities to which you should report the incident (depending on its severity). These include the police department, the state Department of Motor Vehicles and your insurance company. It’s important to be proactive in notifying these entities to best protect your interests, especially if you’ve suffered property damage or injuries.

Calling the police

You should always call the police from the accident scene (if possible), regardless of whether anyone has suffered an injury. When officers arrive, they will ask you to recount your version of the events leading to the crash. While waiting for the police to arrive, review in your mind exactly what happened, and then deliver your story to the police as honestly and accurately as possible.

If you are in a situation in which there have been injuries or significant vehicle damage, but you are, for whatever reason, unable to call the police, then make sure you exchange names, driver’s license numbers, addresses and registration and insurance information with the other driver.

Calling your insurance company

You do not have to call your insurance company from the site of the accident, but should do so at your earliest convenience — no later than the day after. You must report the accident quickly and cooperate with the insurer in the ensuing processes. Be honest when telling your provider what happened, even if you were at fault. If you lie or leave out important information, your provider could deny coverage.

Contacting the state DMV

In some circumstances, you may be required to contact the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration. You will need to file this report within a short amount of time — typically 10 days to two weeks. Ask your insurance company or a police officer if you need to take this step.

For more information and guidance on reporting a car accident to the right entities, speak with a skilled La Plata personal injury attorney at Mudd, Mudd & Fitzgerald, P.A.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


Contact Form


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.