Tips for Handling an Insurance Claim After an Accident
The aftermath of a car accident can be confusing and stressful, especially when dealing with injuries or property damage. Drivers who are involved in any type of accident, whether car, truck or motorcycle, have to work with an insurance adjuster to resolve the monetary damages all parties are owed. However, insurance companies are not looking out for the driver’s best interests, and are known for trying to settle a claim for less than the accident victim deserves by proving contributory fault or negligence. Here are some tips on how to handle insurance companies and other parties involved in resolving an auto accident.
The following are some actions a driver involved in an accident should take:
- Drivers should notify their own insurance company as soon as possible after getting medical attention
- Drivers should keep all records and receipts regarding the accident and insurance claim, including medical bills and vehicle repair costs
- Drivers should read their insurance policy to understand what coverage they have and contact their 67insurance company with any questions
- Drivers should record as many details as possible from the accident, including witness information, police reports and information on the other party’s insurance company
- Drivers should be honest with their own insurance company so their claim is not denied for fraudulent actions
The following are some actions a driver involved in an accident should avoid:
- Drivers should not admit any liability to the other party’s insurance company
- Drivers should not let time limits pass before filing necessary paperwork and claims
- Drivers should not agree to a settlement with the other party’s insurance company without receiving legal counsel
- Drivers should not sign any waivers or documents that may agree to a lump-sum for less than they deserve
- Drivers should not immediately assume their own insurance company’s word is the best option regarding the value of the settlement or claim
An experienced personal injury lawyer in La Plata can help guide you through the insurance claim process and make sure you receive the compensation you deserve.